FAQ - Frequently Asked questions
Each time you send us an email, please recall your username.
You may contact the coordinators at the following email address:
emundus.master (at) fresnel.fr
Each time you send us an email, please recall your username.
Your username is the one that you use to connect to the application.
You can also recall your User ID (it is a number that was sent in the first email received when you registered).
Check first that the answer to your question is not in the following list.
What are the lists of Programme and Partner countries ?
The list of countries is provided on the European Agency website.
If I am a Partner country candidate, why do I need to provide a proof of residency ?
Because the contribution given for travel costs depends on the distance between your city of residence and Marseille.
If I am a Partner country candidate, why do I need to provide a signed letter mentioning that I am not resident nor have carried out studies or training work for more than a total of 12 months over the last 5 years in any Programme Country ?
If you are a Partner country candidate, you need to write and sign a letter where you state that “you are not resident nor have carried out studies or training work for more than a total of 12 months over the last 5 years in any Programme Country“. If this does not correspond to your situation, you will belong to the Programme country candidates category.
I do not have a passport, can I use another ID number in my application form ?
Do I need to apply for a visa in addition to the online application?
You should first apply online to the Europhotonics program. If you are selected, we will help you with your visa application.
Can a student who will graduate in June of the coming year, apply ?
Yes, of course. We know that most students who apply are currently enrolled for their last year or session of a BSc or BEng program or equivalent. In this case the diploma will be asked after selection.
There are one category of scholarships: those funded by the European Agency (EMJMD grants). What will be the selection criterion for the award of the scholarship ?
Depending on their ranking once the evaluation process has been completed, the students will either be proposed one of the three options: a scholarship position (Main List students), a self-funded position (Reserve List students) or no position at all (Non-Selected List students) to the Europhotonics program.
Do I need to submit additional / separate application to be considered for EMJMD scholarships ?
No. Your online application will be used to decide if you are accepted to the Program as well as if you are awarded an EMJMD scholarship.
I will receive my TOEFL or IETLS certificate only after the deadline of application, what should I do ?
Please upload a text document in the optional documents section explaining the reason for which the English score is missing in your application : if you are selected, this score will be asked after the deadline of application.
If I have been enrolled in an English teaching program before, do I still have to submit a TOEFL or IELTS certificate ?
No. In that case, a certificate from the institution where you have taken the English teaching program or any other proof of English teaching program will be sufficient.
Is there any minimum score required for the TOEFL or IETLS tests ?
We ask for a B2 level in English. Indeed, a good level in English is required in order to be sure that the students will be able to follow the lectures. For those who do not have a TOEFL or IELTS, a proof of their English level (for example an attestation of professors of English language) can be sufficient.
I do not have a TOEFL or IELTS certificate, but have followed courses in English. Do I meet the language requirements ?
Proving your English level is possible in several ways, not only by TOEFL or IELTS test certificates.
- If you have followed a bachelor’s or master’s programme at a University or Higher Education Institute (HEI) in your country and the language of all the courses has been English for at least 10 months of the program, then you can submit a certificate from your University or HEI stating this fact (English proficiency certificate). If you can add a TOEFL or IELTS certificate, this can add value to your application.
- If you have followed a program where the language of education was not English, but you have followed English Language courses as part of your curriculum or in a private or other institute, then this does not correspond to the criteria. You will need to pass a TOEFL or IELTS test.
- If you have not followed higher education in English but have for example several years of working experience in an English language environment, then this does unfortunately not meet the criteria. You will need to take a TOEFL or IELTS test.
Problems with reference letters
Main instructions are given in your online application, “Application Forms” menu, “References” section, top of the page (here is a screen copy).
In addition, here is a screen copy of the checklist page, showing you how you can check if your referees have sent their letters, and how you can upload letters by yourself if you have some extra ones.
Your referees should receive the recommendation request by email as soon as you have filled and closed the “References” form page. If they do not receive the email, it can be due to
- you have given a wrong email address for your referee.
- the email has been filtered by your referee’s email system. Tell your referee to check their email spam boxes.
- the email has been rejected by your referee’s email system (it can be due to a greylisting system, to the use of email protections such as boxbe, …).
As long as your application is in the incomplete status (not yet validated), you can send the request again:
- Go to Application form > References
- Check that the emails that you have given for your referees are valid (try to send yourself an email to these addresses and check that it is delivered). Many emails that we send to the referees get returned due to non-existent email address. We cannot deal with this problem.
- At the end of the page, click on “Send the request for individual assessment“. That should send again an email to the referees who have not already replied.
- After everything in your application is updated, and after your referees have received their email requests, submit your application again using the Checklist menu / Send your application.
If your application is in the complete status (already submitted), you can ask us to put it back in the Incomplete status. Do not forgot to validate your application again before the application deadline.
If you are unsuccessful with the previous way of submitting the reference letters, ask your referees to email their recommendation letter directly to us (see email on top of FAQ page). It is essential that they give in their email: your name, and the exact email address that you have used for your application.
How can I check that my application is all right ?
Only the applications that are validated at the online applications deadline will be examined.
In order to check that your application is validated, connect to your online application. You should get at the top of the page the “Status of your actual application” ending with “Your file has been sent“.
I have technical problems. What should I do ?
- First of all, read the instructions that are given on the screen, if there are.
If things do not behave as they should, restart your computer.
I made a mistake and I would like to modify the information that I have already given. What should I do ?
You should be able to change almost everything in the application documents. You can upload revised versions of the files that you have already uploaded. You can change them even if you have already completed your application. You can also delete previously submitted files. You can use the “Other document” to send extra information. See a screenshot example. But you will not be allowed to act on the recommendation letters sent directly by your referents.
Once you have completed your application you cannot change your “Forms“. If there is something wrong, you can
- Go to the “Checklist” tab, then submit a new attachment in the “Other document” section.
- Ask us to change minor things (be clear in telling us what should be suppressed and what should be added)
- Ask us to put your application back in the “Incomplete” status. You should then be able to make the corrections by yourself. And do not forget to validate your application again before the application deadline.
Do I need to send printed documents?
Please do not send any printed documents, the application is online only.
The originals printed documents will be asked after selection.
I have not received my password. What should I do ?
- First of all, subscribe to our online application using an email address that do not use any filtering system (such as boxbe, …). Indeed, most of the emails will be automatically sent to you by our application, and if your messaging system rejects these emails, we have no way to send them again.
- Check in the spambox of your webmail account, perhaps the email containing your password is there.
- Then, if you use an email client (like Outlook, Thunderbird,…), check in the spambox of your email client, perhaps the email is there.
- Then, go to one of the page: http://application.europhotonics.org/ , click on “login“, then click on “Forgotten Password?“.
You will obtain a procedure to retrieve your password.
I am unable to send files using my e-mail account. What should I do ?
I want to convert my files in a different format (PDF for instance). How can I do ?
I have no scanner
To transform your printed documents in numeric format, take a picture with a digital camera. Check that the resulting quality is sufficient.