Two different kinds of scholarships can be obtained:
Two years scholarships funded by the European Agency (Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degree (EMJMD) scholarships): can be obtained after a selection procedure by students who apply for joining the program at the M1 level (1st year). Scholarship candidates must have already obtained a first higher education degree (bachelor) or demonstrate a recognized equivalent level of learning according to national legislation and practices. For the scholarships, students are divided in two categories: Programme countries students (from Member States of the European Union (EU) and Former Yougoslav Republic of Macedonia, Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein, Turkey, Partner countries students (All the students who are not Programme Countries students).
The EMJMD scholarships are including student participation costs (including the tuition fees, full insurance coverage and any other mandatory costs related to student participation in the course), a contribution to student travel and installation cost and a subsistence allowance for the entire duration of the EMJMD study programme.
Caution: Geographical balance is taken into account, i.e. no more than 3 candidates with the same nationality can be awarded an EMJMD scholarship during the same intake.
- Contribution to subsistence costs: 1 000 EUR per month for the entire duration of the EMJMD study programme (24 months maximum). Contribution to subsistence costs will not be given to the scholarship holders for the EMJMD periods (study/research/placement/thesis preparation) spent in their country of residence, nor to scholarship holders from a Partner Country for the EMJMD periods exceeding one trimester (i.e. 3 months or the equivalent of 15 ECTS credits) spent in any Partner Country.
- Contribution to the travel and installation costs:
1 000 EUR per year per scholarship holder resident in a Programme Country for travel costs
2 000 EUR per year for travel costs + 1.000 EUR for installation costs for a scholarship holder, resident in a Partner Country less than 4000 KM from the EMJMD coordinating HEI.
3000 EUR per year for travel costs + 1.000 EUR for installation costs for a scholarship holder, resident in a Partner Country 4000 KM or more from the EMJMD coordinating HEI.
See definition of Partner country students on https://www.erasmusplus.org.uk/participating-countries#Partner Countries
See definition of Programme country students on https://www.erasmusplus.org.uk/participating-countries#Programme Countries
– The students who are residents or have carried out their main activity (studies, training or work) for more than a total of 12 months over the last 5 years in any Programme Country will be considered as Programme country students. The 5-years reference period for this 12 months rule is calculated backwards as from the submission deadline of applying for an EMJMD student scholarship.
– Individuals who have already benefited from an EMJMD scholarship are not eligible for a second scholarship in order to follow the same or another EMJMD.
– Students benefiting from an EMJMD scholarship cannot benefit from another Community grant while pursuing their Erasmus Mundus masters studies.
– EMJMD students scholarships are awarded exclusively for a full-time enrolment in one of the course editions.
Mobility Erasmus+ scholarships. Self funded students can apply to this kind of scholarship (see here) (around 200€/month during one semester) when doing their mobility (applications at the end of 1st and 2nd semesters). Students benefiting from these scholarships don’t have to pay the registration fees in the University where they spend the semester.
Important: students can be paid during the internship and the Master Thesis (to be negociated with the employer).
The candidates applying to the Europhotonics Master apply for two years scholarships. Depending on their ranking in the reserve list, the students who are not selected for the scholarship can have the possibility to be enrolled as self funded students.